Top 7 Essential Oils for Tinnitus (Pick the Best One for Your Condition!)
Tinnitus is a condition associated with the perception of noise or ringing sensation in the ears. This is a common condition that affects 1 in 5 people. Also, it is important to note that this is not a condition itself but a symptom of an underlying health condition like ear injury, hearing loss, and circulatory system disorder.
Even though this symptom is often bothersome, this is not usually a sign of anything serious. But, with age, it can worsen for many people and improve with proper treatment.
It can be challenging to treat tinnitus. To effectively manage this condition, its underlying cause must be identified and treated. Other treatments like the use of essential oil for tinnitus, however, mask or reduce the noise, making it less noticeable.
Are Essential Oils Beneficial?
Yes, essential oils are beneficial. This type of oil offers various healing properties that can help with the treatment of various conditions including tinnitus.
The benefits of essential oils include the following:
- Improve Blood and Air Circulation Throughout the Body. Essential oils can enhance both blood and air circulation in the body, which will ultimately result in pain relief and relaxation. Also, they are beneficial for the treatment of earaches caused by an imbalance of air pressure.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties. Certain essential oils have potent anti-inflammatory properties, which make them ideal in soothing inflamed muscle tissues in the ears.
- Anti-congestion Effects. Essential oils also have anti-congestion properties, which helps improve breathing. With these properties, the passage that connects the respiratory system and middle ear can be cleared up from any congestion or pathogens.
- Relieves Pain. Some essential oils have strong pain relieving properties, which is ideal for the management of painful and bothersome conditions like tinnitus.
- Eliminates Toxins from the Body. There are essential oils that are particularly useful in the elimination of toxins in the body.
Relaxing and Soothing Effect. Essential oils provide a relaxing and soothing effect, which helps you maintain focus and reduce anxiety. With reduced stress, you can cope better and manage your health conditions effectively.
How Essential Oils Help with Tinnitus
A natural method to lessen or reduce the ringing sensation involves essential oils.
It is important to remember that essential oils are not the same with perfumes or fragrance oils. In fact, essential oils are derived from leaves, roots, bark, flowers, and other parts of plants.
While they may be called essential oil, they are not typically oily to touch. They often appear clear and may have a slight color.
Essentials oils have been used for thousands of years for its medical and healing properties. In fact, this can be utilized as part of aromatherapy or added to massage oils.
Top 6 Essentials Oils for Ringing Ear Symptoms
Different types of essential oils contain various properties. Certain types of oils are appropriate for certain conditions. That being said, there are essential oils that are helpful in treating and managing tinnitus.
Here is a list of essential oils that will work with tinnitus. Also, the oils may be combined depending on your needs and preferences.
How to Use Essential Oils
In using essential oils for the treatment of tinnitus, it is important to note that you must never drop pure essential oil into your ears, as it can burn or desensitize the mucous membranes in the ears.
Instead, you must dilute the oil first before mixing them with carrier oil. This type of oil is vegetable oils that are full of fatty acids that can disperse the tiny molecules of essential oils or aromatic oils.
The best method to use essential oils for tinnitus is through massage. In fact, the best places to apply the essential oils include on the ear lobe, behind the ear, on the outer canal of the ears, and all over the neck.
You can apply the essential oils two to three times a day. However, it is also important to keep in mind that the results will vary depending on the cause of tinnitus and other essential factors.
Effective Essential Oil Recipes for Tinnitus
There are different ways on how you can use essential oils for the management of tinnitus. Here are two effective essential oil recipes that have worked well for those people with tinnitus.
1. Tinnitus Topical Treatment
- ¼ cup of carrier oil (almond oil or any preferred vegetable oil)
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops helichrysum essential oil
- 15 drops of juniper essential oil
- 15 drops of cypress essential oil
- 1 small amber colored glass dropper bottle
- Cotton ball
- 1. Mix all the oils in the glass bottle and shake gently to mix well.
- 2. Using a clean cotton ball, place two to three drops of the mixture to the cotton and rub it behind the ears, earlobes, on the rim of the ears, and on the sides of the neck and temples.
- 3. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before dabbing it off with a cleaning paper towel.
2. Steam Inhalation
- 1 drop cypress essential oil
- 1 drop lavender essential oil
- A pot containing about 2 cups of water
- Boil the pot of water until it gets steamy.
- Carefully remove the pot from the heat and place it on the table.
- Sit in front of the pot and create a tent by placing the towel over your head. Make sure that the towel encloses the pot to trap the steam.
- Mix the essential oil into the pot of water and allow the steam to penetrate deep into your ears.
- You can stop steaming when there little to no steam. You can do this once a day to relieve tinnitus.
Things You Must Know about Tinitus. Credit: TowerHealth