Dealing with Dreams about Peeing and Actually Peeing in Bed
Urinating dreams is a common occurrence characterized by dreams of peeing and going to the bathroom to urinate.
You feel that satisfaction of the release but found out that this did not happen and you already wet your bed when you wake up.
If you experienced such type of dreams, you are not alone. In fact, a lot of people do. Normally, this dream occurs one to two times. However, if this is a repeated problem, it may be best that you seek help.
The problem is not about the dreams causing the adult bet wetting experience but the fact that your body is not able to wake up to the urgency to urinate.
Urinating dreams are commonly referred to by experts as false awakening.
In false awakening, your dream of waking up becomes so realistic and vivid that you completely believe that it’s happening.
In fact, you will behave as if you were awake in real time when you are really still lying on your bed fast asleep.
In most cases, those people who experience a false awakening dream that they are actually doing the regular things that they do like get up, brush their teeth, get dressed, and eat their breakfast and even peeing.
In these incidents, your body has two distinct needs which are to get enough sleep and at the same time empty your bladder.
Instead of sacrificing one need, which would be to get enough sleep, for the other, which would be to pee, it will try to take a shortcut which would be to pee and sleep at the same time.
For such cases, it may seem that your dream made you pee. But, it is actually the other way around. Your brain has received the signal that your bladder is full and you need to urinate. This signal or stimulus has provided the inspiration for your dream about peeing.
How Often Does It Happen?
If you have experienced such dreams, you should know that you are not alone. There are a lot of people who go through this type of dream without it becoming a recurring problem.
If it happened only once or twice and does not occur again, you should not worry about it. However, if it becomes a recurring problem, you should seek help.
Nocturnal Enuresis and Its Possible Causes
Bedwetting or nocturnal enuresis becomes a problem if it is a regular occurrence.
The two types of bedwetting include the following:
- Persistent Primary Nocturnal Enuresis. This condition typically starts during childhood. This type of bedwetting is characterized by bedwetting incidents occurring for longer than 6 months. Also, this type of bedwetting is believed by experts to be hereditary.
- • Adult Onset Secondary Enuresis. This type of bedwetting occurs in people who have had the history of bedwetting but have experienced dryness for quite some time only to experience a recurrence later in life.
So, what are the probable causes of adult onset secondary enuresis? Here is a list of its probable causes.
- Urinary Tract Infection. This condition often makes it difficult for the bladder to hold urine.
- Alcohol or Coffee. These beverages cause excessive production of the urine and will irritate the bladder making it difficult for the bladder to hold urine.
- Diuretic Medications. This type of medications is used to treat various conditions like high blood pressure, heart failure, and liver disease. This medication induces diuresis and helps the body get rid of extra water and salt.
- Diabetes Mellitus. One of the symptoms of diabetes includes frequent urination, which may also exhibit as nocturnal enuresis.
- Stress and Anxiety. Stress and anxiety will also cause nocturnal enuresis.
- Enlargement of the Prostate. An enlarged prostate can cause increased frequency of urination especially at night because the prostate gland will put pressure on the bladder and may irritate it.
- Bladder Cancer. Bladder cancer can also cause frequent urination.
What Can Be Done to Reduce Adult Bedwetting?
In dealing with nocturnal enuresis or adult bedwetting, it is important to note that this is completely involuntary and cannot be controlled. Thus, you should not feel guilty or even dirty for having this type of problem.
There are some home remedies, however, that can help you resolve this problem. Here are some of them.